<$BlogRSDUrl$>
The Pink Pen Papers
Think in Hot Pink

Signs, Signs, Everywhere a Sign

Thursday, April 21, 2005
I commute really, really far to get to work. I mean really far. I live just outside of the GTA on the east side, and I work just west of the GTA. So I spend a lot of time on the 401. No. A. Lot.

And I realized the other day just how dependent I am on the signs, particularly the electronic ones that tell you how well the traffic is moving. My favourite is Express and Collectors Moving Well.
My least favourite is Express and Collectors Very Slow. (go figure.)

The thing is, for the past few days, these signs have been blank. No guide to how traffic is moving and all I can see is the great big eighteen-wheeler in front of me. And Fly Guy, your local traffic reporter, is really no help. I love when he broadcasts "And there's nothing to report on the 401" and meanwhile I'm sitting dead stopped in the "fast lane" on the express lanes no less. So without these signs, I have no way of knowing if my ride home is going to take me 45 minutes or three hours. And without that control, I feel just a little lost.

What's even odder, is that despite the fact that I've been making this drive five days a week for almost a year now, there are still places, particularly between the 400 and Yonge Street, that I can't find any landmarks that make me realize where I am. Because of the really really bad drivers on the 401 during rush hour (yeah, you know who you are, and you're always driving in front of me!), I tend to spend most of my time watching the cars and the road and I don't pay attention to where I am (that and I'm on the road for so long.) So then Mr. Pink Pen will call and ask "where I'm to?" and I'll have no idea. It's very disconcerting.

So bring back my signs!! And maybe I'll feel a little more found.
7:25 p.m. :: ::
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home

Pink Pen :: permalink


<body>