<$BlogRSDUrl$>
The Pink Pen Papers
Think in Hot Pink

Cooking 101

Friday, December 02, 2005
I love to cook. I love to bake even more. I particularly love to bake for other people.

I can make a Chocolate Truffle Loaf with Raspberry Sauce that will melt in your mouth. A Lemon Meringue Freeze that will give you shivers. I can make a boring thrown together sandwich that prompts Mr. Pink to tell me I'm a better cook than his mom, except at the boxed pre-packaged stuff (which, I'm ok with :) )

The thing is... I cannot boil an egg. I always get it wrong and end up with half of the egg stuck to the shell. I know. What kind of idiot can't boil an egg.

I'm so ashamed.
2:55 p.m. :: ::
3 Comments:
  • I think boiling eggs is a tricky proposition. Sometimes mine turn out great. Other times... not so much. :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:29 p.m.  
  • Don't boil them at all.

    STEAM them.

    You can get an egg cooker that will do seven-eight at once. You use the tack-like thing in the middle to put pin pricks in the bottom (the narrow end) so the air pock ends up at the fat end enabling you to smack break it and and peel it.

    You put a millimeter of water in the bottom of the cooker, then poke and set however many eggs, push down the switch and wait about three minutes. Most of the ones I've seen (including the one I have) have self-popping switches that come back up when the eggs are done.

    I personally then take the lid off (it will be drippy from the steam) and wait another three minutes for the shells to be coolish to the touch. You can then start to peel them or tuck them in the fridge.

    Even the companies that do pre-cooked eggs for Easter use very large versions of these steamer cookers. You just can't over do them (you can set some of the more expensive cookers to under do them for those who like runny eggs, but thats risking salmonella).

    Just don't ask me how to make good toast. I either walk it through a warm room or make charcoal.

    By Blogger Alphabeter, at 2:40 p.m.  
  • A hint on boiled eggs (from someone who had to peel a couple dozen nearly every day at one point):
    DON'T OVERBOIL.
    As soon as they're done, dump the water, & cover with cold water and LOTS OF ICE.
    Let 'em sit for awhile.
    Then give a hard crack on the BIG end of the egg, then a hard crack on the TOP of the egg, then roll 'em gently to crackle all over. Then the shell usually just slides right off. :)

    But I have no clue how to make any of that yummy stuff YOU can do.

    By Blogger Shannon akaMonty, at 6:45 p.m.  
Post a Comment
<< Home

Pink Pen :: permalink


<body>