<$BlogRSDUrl$>
The Pink Pen Papers
Think in Hot Pink

I'd rather be an underarm sniffer

Thursday, August 04, 2005
Have you ever seen that picture with the women who are testing deodorant by sniffing these sweaty guys underarms and the caption is, and you think your job sucks. At this point, I'd rather be one of those women than in my job.

Yes, in the never ending saga of Pink Pen's crappy job working for the store everyone hates (and I'm beginning to see why...), today, I almost told them to shove it and walked right out. While I was on vacation, one of my fellow copywriters felt the need to rewrite and reformat all of my about to be signed off flyers. Worse, he "corrected" it by making it full of spelling and grammatical mistakes.

Now, I'm assuming most of the people who read this, if there is anyone who reads this, can relate. For those who think that's not a big deal, well, a) you haven't been reading and noticed my total control freak anal-ness when it comes to proper grammar and spelling (and yes, there are spelling mistakes in my blog. It's freewriting and I need to practice that. Get over it.) and b) have never had one of your co-workers crap all over your work simply out of spite. And that's what it was. I've corrected his work (quietly and in private) and he's been pissy ever since I started.(for example:

PinkPen: "you spelled this word wrong every time you've used it, and you haven't spelled it the same each time.... you might want to fix that..."
A**hole co-worker: "How do you know?" complete with dirty looks.
PinkPen: "Umm, I looked it up in the dictionary. (DUH...) And every other store and website that sells that particular product spells it the right way..."
A**hole co-worker: "whatever" (turns back on PinkPen and refuses to fix it... thus putting out a flyer with "megapixel" spelled incorrectly and inconsistently in the same damn flyer..)
edited to add that this wasn't an unsolicited commentary... this conversation came after he asked me to proofread his work.

Now the thing is, this isn't the first time people have fucked with my work and it's been ok. And that, really, is where I have a problem. I could understand correcting me if I've made a mistake. I welcome constructive criticism. But to purposely screw with my work because you're lazy or on an ego trip or to fuck me over, well... that's a whole other story. And to screw with someone's work WITHOUT talking to them about it? Not acceptable. And for the higher ups to let it go because they don't want to make waves? Yeah. Even worse.

Overreacting? me? Yeah, maybe. But let me ask you this... You go in for surgery, the one where you're awake during, and just as the doctor's about to sew you up, some guy you've never seen before, dressed like a doctor, comes in and says, yeah, you didn't do this right. I'll fix it. And starts messing with your incision. Not as serious, maybe, but the principle's still the same. Your doc has been embarassed and made to feel like crap and you've lost faith in both.

And I would have quit, because between the commute and this garbage, I've had enough, except, I have a mortgage to pay. And Mr. Pink has been on disability for over a year, where he makes just enough money to pay for his medication. (i.e., no rent, no food, no living expenses, just drugs.) And EI doesn't even cover my car and house payments.

I need to win the lottery.
8:02 p.m. :: ::
3 Comments:
  • that totally sucks and I don't blame you one bit. I would have been FURIOUS.

    By Blogger Kalisa, at 11:54 a.m.  
  • I still am! I didn't sleep last night I kept going over it in my head, and I've spent the entire day today redoing one of them (three times the work it should have taken me). The other one has gone to print, so there's nothing I can do. But BossLady got one helluva email pointing out all of the mistakes and letting her know how angry I am...
    Good thing the jerk's on vacation, or he'd be minus a few body parts right now.

    By Blogger Pink Pen, at 1:18 p.m.  
  • Ok, in all fairness to the a**hole, he did actually fix the megapixel flyer. However, on September 3rd, look for the one that describes a blanket as "micro-sueded" um. yeah. and that sweater you're wearing is cottoned.

    By Blogger Pink Pen, at 10:26 p.m.  
Post a Comment
<< Home

Pink Pen :: permalink


<body>