<$BlogRSDUrl$>
The Pink Pen Papers
Think in Hot Pink

She's Got Style, She's Got Grace

Wednesday, June 15, 2005
I had an interesting conversation with Mr. Pink Pen last night. We'd been talking about my frustration with my job situation and the fact that I'm sure I should be doing more with my life. And he said that I'm a lot more ambitious and stronger than he is, and in fact than most people. His main reasoning is that I've stuck it out for almost a year in my job, despite the commute from hell, despite the fact that it completely lacks challenge, despite the fact that I am being completely underutilized in the position... Had it been him, he would have quit months ago and found a job not in his field just to get rid of the commute.

The thing is, I don't really see that as "strength". Sure, I've stuck it out, but let's not ignore the fact that I've been looking for a new job for more than six months now. Sure, I'm looking for something in my field, and something that pays more than I make now, and something that doesn't require me to work 50 hours a week every day (overtime when necessary is one thing, it comes with the territory, but to demand a 10 hour day? yikes!), and I've been a little fussy about what I'll do next. But I do that mostly because to change fields now... I wouldn't have a clue what I could do. Really. I mean what kind of skills do I have? I have a degree in Theatre Production, but being almost ten years out of the theatre, I wouldn't have a hope in hell of jumping back in and knowing what to do. And my diploma in book and magazine publishing really only qualifies me to do what I do now. I'm not a very good graphic artist, I'm definitely not a salesperson, so that leaves writing and editing.
Kinda makes me wish I hadn't been so stubborn about not taking business and computer classes in school...
Because sure, good communication skills are vital to almost any job, but there's usually more than that... and I don't really have the MORE.
And bottom line? I don't want to do anything else.

The thing is... I haven't liked most of the jobs I've had. Ok, I haven't liked ANY of them. Which kinda makes me wonder what it is I'm doing in this field? Ok, that's not entirely true. I don't like the menial stuff, the proofreading, the checking, the data entry part. But give me a story or article to rewrite... I'm in heaven. Let me write something with substance... now I'm challenged. I just can't seem to find a job that lets me do only those things.

Talk about a rock and a hard place.

But i guess the question is, am I strong? Stubborn? Or just plain stupid?
And what do I do now?
7:31 p.m. :: ::
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home

Pink Pen :: permalink


<body>