<$BlogRSDUrl$>
The Pink Pen Papers
Think in Hot Pink

Happily Ever After?

Saturday, August 20, 2005
SERIOUS SPOILERS HERE. JUST TO LET YOU KNOW.

There's been a lot of debate lately in the romance writing blog world about what exactly constitutes a Happily Ever After (HEA)... is it, like in the case of most romance novels, that HEA is that the girl gets the guy, the ring, the 2.4 kids and the chocolate lab; or like in The Notebook, where the end comes when the hero and heroine die together in each other's arms?

I just watched a movie I was fully prepared to hate... Little Black Book. It's Saturday, Mr. Pink's not here, so it's my time to watch girly movies he hates. (It's ok, he's watching war movies I hate :) ) So, I put this on, thinking it's gonna be a piece of crap with some Too Stupid to Live heroine who brings chaos on herself, but still gets the guy in the end.

Only, she doesn't. She gets the dream job. She gets to meet the singer who defined her entire life. But no guy. So was that HEA? I think so... Did she get the guy and the ring, no, but at the end she's happy. She's gotten what she'd craved all her life. And her life is more than just about "getting the guy".

And you know what? I like that more than if she'd gotten the guy. THe guy, seriously, was an ass. He deserved what he got just for being an ass. (Unfortunately, he got the girl, just not the heroine. Some other girl. But the girl who he was meant to be with.) So by romance standards, the hero got the HEA, the heroine got the HEA, they just didn't get it together. And if they had gotten it together? I would have hated the movie. Only, now, I'm impressed. It was a twist I wasn't expecting in what I thought was going to be trite and cliche. Good for Little Black Book.

So I think HEA is ending with happy. Your definition of happy, whatever that is... The dream job, meeting Carly Simon, getting the guy, getting both guys, getting the Ancient Vampire Werewolf Wizard, finding yourself or whatever.

And no one has the right to tell you what you can and can't want as your HEA. So long as it's yours.
11:41 p.m. :: ::
2 Comments:
  • Hey Pink Pen, if you want to get your sidebar back to where it was, you're gonna have to change the template or at least choose the same template if you like the one you've got already.

    Also dont forget to copy and paste all the stuff you have on your side bar (via the template)and save it onto a word document, then you can just paste it back once you've published the new blog template (or the same, it's up to you)

    If you go onto www.blogfrocks.com
    , I believe they have some funky templates that you can use too, but don't ask me how to get them!

    Good luck!

    By Blogger Karen Scott, at 4:00 p.m.  
  • Thanks Karen!!!
    I'm definitely going to try that!

    By Blogger Pink Pen, at 6:05 p.m.  
Post a Comment
<< Home

Pink Pen :: permalink


<body>