<$BlogRSDUrl$>
The Pink Pen Papers
Think in Hot Pink

But all the kids are doing it.

Wednesday, June 22, 2005
I've been reading a lot of other people's blogs lately, trying to get my name out there, seeing what other people are doing, and I'm seeing a lot of talk about fanfiction. I just don't get it.

People take someone else's story/movie/characters and write their own version of it. First, why not work on your own ideas? It just seems to be kind of a cop out to steal someone else's characters and story line and using it for your own work. Second, well... what I've read, not that good...

Admittedly, I haven't read a lot. And so far, it's all been Harry Potter fanfic... Very graphic Harry Potter fanfic. Now don't get me wrong, I love the HP books. I started reading HP long before it became the "cool" thing to do. My copy of book 6 has been on preorder at Amazon since February. And I'm gonna be camped out on my front doorstep on July 16th waiting for it (and it better come, since I'm leaving for Newfoundland on the 17th!) But how many stories can I read where Harry and Draco suddenly discover that their animosity was a not-so-clever disguise for their burgeoning attraction? Or, and oh, so much worse, the Ron and Ginny stories. The Ron and Ginny very graphical sex stories. Yeah, the Ron and Ginny who are BROTHER AND SISTER.
EW. just, ew.

I mean, Harry, Ron and/or Hermione (or all three :) ) testing the sex waters, well sure that makes perfect sense, and I always wondered if that's what was really going on in the "weeks passed and stuff happened" paragraphs in JK's books. But I just don't see myself running out and writing that story. It just seems kind of like stealing... And quite frankly, my own original stories are too demanding to be written to go off on that kind of tangent.

I dunno.

Then again. At least these people are writing. Which is more than I can say about me. Granted, I've totally ramped up my job search (one more 2-hour drive to work when I leave at 6:30 a.m.!!! and I'm gonna quit, whether I have a new job or not), and the migraine which still hasn't completely gone hasn't left me feeling that romantic, either physically or creatively, but still...

I'm hoping the summer and my two-week vacation in July will help me get, well, ME back. Cuz I kinda miss her.
7:25 p.m. :: ::
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home

Pink Pen :: permalink


<body>