<$BlogRSDUrl$>
The Pink Pen Papers
Think in Hot Pink

Same shit, different day

Monday, June 20, 2005
So, it turns out the twitching eyes turned into a full blown headache last week. Which turned out to be a migraine. My first, and one that has been going on for TWO.WEEKS. That's just not right.

Friday, I learned that the Durham region has the.worst.health.care.ever. Let me tell you my day..

9:00 - Dr's appointment. Diagnosed with migraine, given prescription for pain meds
10:00 - Picked up Mr. Pink Pen went to [store I work for] to the pharmacy. Watched pharmacist yell at a customer, and take over an hour to fill my prescription, which a) he told me would take 20 minutes, and b) is counting 20 pills and shoving them in a bottle. Give me a break. And I'm surprised by people hating my company?
12:00 - Finally got home from driving in the bright sun that was killing me. Took pain meds
12:45 - Pain intensifies. Call Doctor. On lunch
1:30 Can't stand up straight, so dizzy. Call doctor again. Doctor gone home with - get this - migraine.
2:00 - go to local walk in clinic. All doctors on lunch, won't be back for over an hour. You're telling me ALL the doctors in an EMERGENCY clinic went to lunch at the same time??!!
2:30 - go to not so local walk in clinic. sit for very long time
3:30 - get in to see doctor who tells me I've had an allergic reaction to the pain meds. But he doesn't want to give me anything for it. Go home. if it gets bad go to hospital.
4:00 - get home still in huge amounts of pain. Wait for 5 p.m. to call my doctor's health group.
5:00 - call health group. told to go to ANOTHER clinic... this is bad. still in pain, and can't walk a straight line.
5:30 - find out health group my doctor belongs to sent me to the clinic's old, closed down office.
6:00 - find clinic's new office.
7:00 - get in to see clinic doctor. Writes me note and sends me to the hospital.
7:15 - get to hospital. See doctor fairly quickly
8:00 - put on IV to get pain and anti-migraine meds.
9:30 - sent home, still in pain, but can finally stand up.

Scary how I had to drive to ANOTHER city just to get proper health care. And disgusting that it took me SEVEN HOURS before someone finally offered a solution to help me.

And things didn't get better. Walked into work Monday morning to be accosted by someone before I'd even set my purse down yelling about stuff that needed to be finished for a meeting that day. Hmmm. let's see, it wasn't done at noon on Thursday before I left for the day and I wasn't in on Friday (see above). We're not allowed to take work home because of confidentiality issues. When exactly was I supposed to finish it? Oh, and the meeting wasn't actually until Thursday. That's FOUR days from the freak out.
THEN, get a call from manager of department I applied to be promoted to. Didn't get job. He told me it was because I don't have contract negotiating experience. (I don't, but I can certainly learn). He told BossLady that I was too confident, and when he asked what people say about me, I only said good stuff. Umm... unless asked what are your weaknesses, which I'd already discussed, who says bad stuff in an interview? Talk about shooting yourself in the foot. So my overconfidence (ummm, have you met me? I'm one of the most insecure, non-confident people around.), would make it hard for me to fit in with the team (apparently), but he also told BossLady that if another job opened up in the dept, I should totally apply (Uhhh... why would I fit in in another job, but not this one?)

I don't get my company. Seriously. They talk this crap about hiring from within, and yet, it seems every job they go to an outside source. I mean, even my own job that I have now, there was a writer in another dept. who wanted it and didn't get it. And one of my friends who's been doing her job for EIGHT YEARS (yikes!) applied to a job that's an extension of her job, and lost it to, you guessed it, an outside person.

Just plain yeeesh.
6:50 p.m. :: ::
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home

Pink Pen :: permalink


<body>