<$BlogRSDUrl$>
The Pink Pen Papers
Think in Hot Pink

Bitten and a little Smitten

Wednesday, December 28, 2005
I'm a bit of a brat when I read for fun. I always notice things like a Toyota Echo that gets abandoned up north or a tuna sandwich that turns into an egg sandwich in the space of three sentences. And they continue to bug me long after the book is done. Which, in the long run, is one of the things that makes me a good editor. But it makes it very difficult for me to be a gushing reviewer. And it's why I've been putting this off for so very long.

Months and months ago... (ok, like the end of September) I won an ARC for Michelle Rowen's debut novel Bitten and Smitten. I read it immediately (ok, devoured would be a little more accurate :) ) and promised I'd do a gushing review. I knew from reading Michelle's blog that I'd enjoy her voice, and I was right. Sarah Dearly, newly vamped vampire, is a snarky little brat, much like I am. While trying to figure out how to be a vampire, she falls in love with a suicidal vampire (can you kill yourself if you're immortal?). And, always a little thrill for me, the book is set right here in my hometown. I know. I'm Canadian. We get a kick out of stuff like that.

For a while, I wanted Sarah to be a little more proactive - in finding out more about her new world and the vampire rules and not just sitting around thinking... shit something bad is happening. oh well. I'm going shopping. But then, at the end, Sarah totally redeems herself. She does something that not only did I get a huge kick out of, but something I've often wondered why no one else ever has in her situation... (no, I'm not gonna tell you what it is. go read the book.)

Now I've always been first and foremost a romance reader, but Bitten & Smitten is definitely closer to funny paranormal than romance, despite the love triangle with the Vampire Hunter and the suicidal Master Vamp, making it a great read for men who wouldn't be caught dead reading one of those books as well as women who would.

So. consider this me gushing. Go read Bitten & Smitten. It's in stores now.
I mean it. Go. Right now.
5:04 p.m. :: ::
4 Comments:
  • Ok, what section of the bookstore? :)

    And what is an ARC? Inquiring minds wanna know!

    I'm thinking on the pseudonym...I promise I am!

    By Blogger Tammy, at 7:12 p.m.  
  • Hmmm... looks to me like both Barnes and Noble and Amazon have it listed as Romance.

    And an ARC is an advance reading copy. It's a not-quite-a-book book that publishers will send out to reviewers and their marketing team to build up excitement before a book is published. I know I was excited :)

    And I can't wait to hear your pseudonym thoughts. I'm having so much fun with this poll :)

    By Blogger Pink Pen, at 7:23 p.m.  
  • I'll give you the Echo, but I don't remember anything about tuna sandwiches. ;-)

    Thanks for the review -- though, I wouldn't exactly call it gushing! LOL

    Now, excuse me, I'm going shopping.

    By Blogger Michelle Rowen, at 8:32 p.m.  
  • Heh. the tuna sandwiches weren't you. 'twas mme. SEP. and neither of you got the date of the bombing of pearl harbour wrong *cough*Danielle Steel*cough*.

    And I've never been a gusher... unless it's about Mr. Pink. But he's hot and good in bed. heehee.

    By Blogger Pink Pen, at 8:48 p.m.  
Post a Comment
<< Home

Pink Pen :: permalink


<body>