<$BlogRSDUrl$>
The Pink Pen Papers
Think in Hot Pink

And Pink Gets a Little Angsty

Wednesday, March 15, 2006
So yesterday morning I woke up around 8:30 a.m. I remember Mr. Pink climbing into bed next to me sometime before that, but I tend to get drifty when he does that, so it could have been a few minutes or a couple of hours. He's still asleep. And when I say that, I mean he has been asleep for close to 32 hours, now. I forced him awake a few hours ago to pee and take his medication, but I can't get him awake enough to actually be up.

Now, I know he's sick and all. If you haven't heard me angst over it before, he has trigeminal neuralgia, which is apparently the most painful condition known to humans. (Yeah, worse than childbirth, and he's had this for close to three years now). He's on all sorts of rather potent medication, including a morphine patch that he wears 24/7 to manage the pain. He's been doing pretty well since we got home from Newfoundland last summer, but this has me worried.

Apparently, this is his body's way of handling the pain, and trying to heal... the medication puts him to sleep. But 32 hours? Straight? That can't be right.

I've been going upstairs pretty much hourly just to check on him, but it's not enough. And I don't know what more to do.

I hate this.
3:58 p.m. :: ::
7 Comments:
  • I'm sorry. :-( That's rough.

    By Blogger Michelle Rowen, at 5:24 p.m.  
  • Wow. That's almost like human hibernation.:(

    By Blogger Janet, at 7:53 p.m.  
  • I feel for him.

    A friend of mine suffered from this for sixteen years.

    The only thing that helped was surgery.....yes....on the brain.

    She's been well ever since. But what a way to have to be cured.

    By Blogger Buffy, at 2:37 a.m.  
  • Update please! Is everything OK??????

    Cynthia

    By Blogger Eclecta, at 6:35 p.m.  
  • Holy Crap! 32 hours? I hope all is well and you guys get through this soon...

    By Blogger Your Mother, at 2:55 p.m.  
  • My grandfather suffered from the exact same illness throughout his life. He acquired the trigeminal neuralgia (or what we called here Tic Douloureux) through an earlier disease, Herpes Zoster. My grandpa was the only man i knew alive who had the highest tolerance for pain. But, this too was for him unbearable. He only got this illness for a whole month straight, EVERY 4 years -- much like the olympics and leap year, hehe. So he dreaded the 4th year after his current attack. I remember watching him sleep in our sofa sitting down, wincing in pain, but never complaining nor making a sound. The slightest draft to hit a hairstrand would trigger the immense pain he would feel for the rest of the night. He never took any medication nor underwent surgery. he just took what came and prayed that the attacks would pass. I'd remember watching him as a child, feeling so helpless because I didn't know what to do.

    I know that there are treatments for this, and yes, surgery is one of them. You may want to consider this if the pain your husband is feeling becomes too unbearable. There is hope. It may be rough for now, but at least we know there is a cure of some form.

    My papa lived to be 90 years old and died of old age. i can only remember happy moments with him. I'm leaving this comment because your story brought back memories of a man who i loved dearly and looked up to all my life.

    By Blogger Chrixean, at 10:36 a.m.  
  • My god, I'm so sorry for both of you! How awful to watch someone you love go through that -- and how awful to actually go through it. I'm glad that he's sleeping, though -- I'd assume he doesn't feel the pain then.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:32 a.m.  
Post a Comment
<< Home

Pink Pen :: permalink


<body>